San Diego Creditor Harassment Lawyers
Dedicated to Helping You Get Relief
When you have been burdened by the weight of debt, it can feel like you are carrying the entire world on your shoulders. No matter what you do, it seems like when you turn around there is another bill to be paid. As you struggle to work longer hours and gather any savings to pay your debts, the last thing you need is continuous emails, phone calls, and even personal confrontations with creditors, repeatedly harassing you to immediately return the money you supposedly owe.
Unfortunately, in this time that is already very stressful, creditors and debt collectors make life even more difficult by constantly heckling debtors, often very late at night or early in the morning. However, as ordered by the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, creditors are directly forbidden from using deceitful and unjust strategies to try to collect debts. They also cannot harass you through continual bombardments of calls and emails. If you are being accosted, seek counsel from our San Diego creditor harassment attorneys, so that Debt Relief Legal Clinic can give you the support you really need.
Call us today at (619) 639-9228 to find out how you can get rid of aggressive collectors immediately through filing for bankruptcy.
Debt Collectors’ Behavior Prohibited in the State of California
Along with federal edicts, California’s Fair Debt Collections Practices Act is crucial because it shields many debtors from being heckled. It is helpful to know the manner of behavior that debt collectors may not engage in so that you understand just how you will be protected.
As designated by the laws of the FDCPA, creditors and debt collectors are legally barred from such behavior as:
- Calling multiple times a day to harass for debts to be collected
- Using violence or threats of a violent or sinister nature
- Indicating or suggesting disastrous consequences
- Trying to gain money that was never justified, including supposed “penalties” and “additional fees”
- Seeking to gain a debt that should have expired due to its age, which is four years in the state of California
- Using scare tactics that are false in nature
- Phoning in the evening or the early morning, when you and your family could be resting or sleeping
- Creating reports about the debtor that are false
- Continuously trying to contact you even if you have specifically requested against this, either orally or in writing
- Emailing or sending letters which including any misleading, deceptive, or false information
- Calling you at work when you have requested against this
- Using offensive and profane language
- Sending emails or letters that have been made to falsely represent an “official” document
How Bankruptcy Can Solve Harassment
The fastest way to get rid of aggressive creditors and debt collectors is by filing for bankruptcy.
The moment that you make your bankruptcy application, you will immediately get something called an “automatic stay.” This status provides immediate relief since it prohibits any further attempt of collecting debts, including foreclosure and repossession actions. Our knowledgeable San Diego creditor harassment lawyers are ready to aid you in filling out your application so that you can finally experience calm and peace from your financial anxiety.
Contact us now at (619) 639-9228 for a free consultation with our dedicated team at Debt Relief Legal Clinic.
Why Hire Our Firm?We Help You Find Relief from Debt
Certified Bankruptcy Specialist
Attorney John C. Colwell has been recognized by the State Bar of California as one of 12 certified legal specialists in San Diego County for Bankruptcy Law.
Our attorney has over 35 years of experience and has dedicated the firm to consumer bankruptcy.
Our legal team is bilingual and serve our clients in English and Spanish.
President of NACBA
John C. Colwell has been a member of NACBA for 25 years and is currently the president.
We are a family-oriented business, committed to helping you get relief from debt.
We offer free consultations and take online payments for your convenience.
Hear from Our Happy ClientsRead Our 5 Star Reviews
John and his team DELIVERED!- Matthew B.
I can't say enough about how wonderful the staff and the attorneys are to work with through the process.- Laura M.
I wish I could give him more than 5 stars.- Terry D.
John Colwell and Daniel Wiedecker handled our bankruptcy very professionally and we are very pleased with their legal services.- Allie F.
Mr. Colwell goes the extra mile for his clients! I really appreciated his time and extra time for a zoom meeting during covid-19 pandemic to answer my additional questions prior to discharge!- Lori Kalman Adkins